SpraySpy® – in-situ spray measurement and monitoring
The characterization of drops and particles in flows is often an essential monitoring or diagnostic task in process engineering, for example in spray coating or paint spraying. For various reasons existing measurement systems are not suitable for those applications, especially if non transparent drops, like in suspensions or emulsions, are to be characterized in size and velocity.
Different patented innovations are combined in SpraySpy®. The result is a real-time in-situ measurement system for R&D and inline process measurements with very low instrument-based effort.
In many cases SpraySpy® is able to also measure the refractive index of droplets, which helps identify the material or the concentration of suspensions.
– Measurement of velocity, size, number and momentum of transparent and non-transparent droplets & particles
– Detection of flux density and the concentration of particles within droplets is possible
– Measurement is performed in real time and inline
– Backscattering enables a flexible and convenient use without calibration and in systems with restricted optical access
– Specially developed for inline application in production processes
– Explosion protected (ATEX) and high voltage proof version for electro static painting available
Field of Applications:
– Monitoring of spray drying processes
– Characterization of sprays, lacquers, nozzles or spray guns
– Droplet & particle size range: ~ 1 µm – 1000 µm
– Droplet velocity: 1 m/s – 100 m/s
Note: Because of individual browser security settings the videos might not show up. If this is the case, you can shortly adjust the security settings of your browser to watch the videos.
Measurement for the quality monitoring of the droplet size and velocity at a bell atomizer using SpraySpy
In order to monitor the spray parameters (bell rotation, shaping air and volume flow) SpraySpy was used to detect variations in the spray parameters. Therefore, the droplet size and velocity was measured with varying spray parameters.
Measurement of a pneumatic spray (automotive lacquer)
Video of a SpraySpy®-measurement of the droplet size and velocity in a spray of a pneumatic gun.
The working principle of the SpraySpy® technology:
Video from the D.F.O series of lectures during the Paint-Expo 2014 in which Prof. Tropea (TU Darmstadt) explains the working principle of the SpraySpy®-Technology.
AOM-Systems product facts: